Winter is an unexpected time when pests can invade homes. As a homeowner, it's important to take steps to prevent these pests from entering your home. In this blog post, we'll discuss some of the most common winter pests and provide you with effective tips to keep them at bay.
What Are the Most Common Winter Pests?
During the winter months in Nebraska, there are several pests that become particularly problematic. These creatures seek warmth and shelter, often finding their way into homes and other structures.
- Mice: Often the most common pest in winter, mice seek warmth in homes, garages, and sheds. They're not only a nuisance but also a health risk due to the diseases they can carry.
- Spiders: Spiders often come inside during the cold months to escape the freezing temperatures. While most are harmless, some, such as the brown recluse, can pose a risk.
- Cockroaches: These pests prefer warm environments and often move indoors during the winter. They can contaminate food and spread disease.
- Bed bugs: While not affected by the seasons as much as other pests, bed bugs can be more noticeable in winter as people spend more time indoors. They are incredibly hard to eliminate once they've infested a house.
5 Ways to Keep Pests at Bay
1. Seal All Entry Points
The first step to keeping winter pests out of your home is to seal all entry points. Check for cracks and crevices in your walls, doors, and windows. Use caulk to seal any gaps you find. You may also want to install weather stripping around doors and windows to further seal them.
2. Keep Your Home Clean and Tidy
Pests are attracted to hiding spots and food sources, so it's important to keep your home clean and free from clutter and garbage. Vacuum regularly, and make sure to keep food stored in airtight containers. Don't leave dirty dishes in the sink and take out your garbage regularly.
3. Store Firewood Away from Your Home
If you use firewood to heat your home during the winter, make sure to store it away from your home. Pests such as termites and carpenter ants are attracted to wood, and keeping it close to your home can make it easier for them to enter.
4. Keep Your Home Dry
Pests such as cockroaches and silverfish are attracted to moisture. To keep them at bay, make sure to keep your home dry. Fix any leaks you find and use a dehumidifier if necessary.
5. Hire a Professional Pest Control Company
If you're still having trouble with pests, it may be time to hire a professional pest control company. They can provide you with effective solutions to get rid of pests and keep them from coming back.
If you need help with pest control, don't hesitate to contact Enviro-Tech Pest Services. Our team of experts can help you get rid of pests and keep them from coming back.
Call us at (800) 836-3089 to schedule an appointment.