Football season, holiday pies, and cozy sweaters are all things you may typically associate with fall. But what about rats, cockroaches, and ants? No one wants pest problems during the holidays, but the simple truth is that pests are seeking a cozy place to spend their winters just like we do!
Keep reading to learn what pests you may spot in your home this winter — and what you can do about it.
Common Overwintering Pests
Contrary to popular belief, not all pests die off during the cold winter months. Some pests seek out shelter from the frigid winter air to survive through into spring. One of the most common shelters for these pests? Our homes.
Some pests you may spot in your home this winter include:
- Ants - This small invader may seem like no big deal, but ants live in colonies — so when you have one, you really could have hundreds or even thousands!
- Rats and mice - Rodents are one of the more common overwintering pests you may spot in your home. Mice are smaller and will generally nibble on food as well as things like wires and walls. Rats are larger and are generally more cautious than mince — which means they may be harder to spot.
- Cockroaches - Roaches are drawn to moist areas such as overwatered plants, a leak in the plumbing, or excessively humid bathrooms.
- Bedbugs - These nasty little critters pack a mean bite, and they’re incredibly difficult to get rid of.
- Silverfish - One of the more common, if not ignored, pests you may find in your home, silverfish will eat anything from wallpaper to crackers.
- And more!
Keep pests out of your home this winter by keeping counters and pantries clean and clear of crumbs, sealing pet food and holiday leftovers inside airtight containers, and cleaning the counters and table after meals. For all your pest control needs, contact the expert team at
Enviro-Tech Pest Services today!